Monday, July 9, 2012

Crafty post: Personalized Hanger

If you follow wedding blogs as avidly as I do, you'd know that having a personalized hanger for a wedding dress is kind of a new fad. Thing. Whatever. And I really like the idea.

Like this one, from Etsy seller BridesFirst

 I think they're great for photos, but I'm not one of those brides willing to shell out $30+ on a clothes hanger. 
If it's any indication, I spent more on my Senior Prom dress than I did on my wedding dress. (Note to self: Daughter is buying prom dresses at thrift store), but we won't talk about that now. 

Anyway, I had what I thought was a magnificent idea this morning, and I tried to tackle the "married-name-on-a-coat-hanger" problem myself. Writing a name in wire with what I have lying around the house proved elusive to me. And I was intent on this being a free project. My solution? Bunting. Little triangles on string. This is what I came up with.


 Well, crap, that's going to be my name, isn't it. 
Somewhere along the way, it's become apparent that I am, in fact, changing my last name. (But I'm also keeping Gaskell as my middle. Who wouldn't, with a name like Gaskell). I was surprised to find that there are a few people who were in turn surprised that I'm taking Paul's last name! Do I come across as that fiercely independent? 
Anyway, I'm excited for my coat hanger. It's amazing what kinds of things become exciting in the lead-up to a wedding. The strings aren't tied on there permanently. I will admit the bottom one has a bit of tape, because my wedding dress might not show the whole name, might need to be moved around a bit.

The dress, on the other hand, is somewhere in Massachusetts right now. I'm expecting it this week. I'm hoping I'll get it today. My readers (and I keep finding out that more and more of the ladies we invited are reading this thing! Hello! How unexpected! And frightening!) may be ABSOLUTELY SHOCKED to find out Paul has little to do with this blog, apart from where I express things on his behalf. Really, you're all floored, right? 
Well, because I really started writing this thing to keep my relatives-at-a-distance in the know, Paul has agreed to not read the blog either, so for anyone interested, I'll be able to make a post about the dress, whenever it decides to arrive. There's a neat little story about it that starts somewhere in China, and I'm not sure if it's going to end up being a tragedy or not. 

We plan on speaking with our officiant sometime in the next few weeks, so I'll probably talk about our ceremony in the future, and Paul and I hopefully will have a few additions to the wedding party/ceremony participants to make in the future. I've been sitting on them, but we're really waiting to see them in person to talk about their role in our wedding. 
What else are we up to? Well, August 19th we'll be taking our engagement photos. And next weekend, we're going surfing again! And I have all the time in the world to tell you all about it, because I am still sadly applying for jobs.

No comments:

Post a Comment